Sunday, May 6, 2012

Live Every Day

Wow, as of the 7th, I will have been a whole 2 months in Burundi, Africa.
Eight weeks.
52 days.
I am amazed at the number of lessons I have learned in this short time.

Another thing that has been a major life lesson here is to really live every day and to not always be looking ahead and worrying over the future.

Some lessons I've been learning have been reiterated. So many times, until it finally starts to get into my brain.

Another volunteer has come out this week, and while I still know very little about the culture, the language, etc. I realized how much I have grown accustomed to! I can laughingly call myself a "semi-old timer"
It's amazing what one adapts to.
When I first came, it's funny how many misconceptions I had about Africa.

I am definitely feeling more comfortable with everything here. I am enjoying every day, and this week at the school was fantastic!

I am so excited for the weeks to come. There are many projects that get to be done.
Here's N and I working with reading groups

The other night, we went out to eat for Carly's birthday. We went to a local Indian place. We had a definite Laurel and Hardy experience.
The waiter was so funny.
Here's how it went:
Waiter: Are you ready to order?
Us: Yes. We'd like a chicken, and if we could get some extra sauce for our rice. The coconut one, the spinach one, and the tomato one
W: Three orders of chicken?
Us: no. ONE order of chicken and three sauces.
W: Three sauces? That is not possible. What do you mean?
Us: the sauces come on the side, correct?
W: yes.
Us: So, can we just get three bowls of different sauces?
W: Yes, with mutton.
Us: we don't want mutton. We want chicken, please.
W: Not possible.
Us: why not? Three bowls of the THREE DIFFERENT sauces.
W: Okay, so you want vegetables? Cheese? Mutton?
Us: No. Just the sauce.
W: I tell you, it is not possible.
Us: well, okay.
W: OH! Gravies? The gravies? You want three?
We thought at this point that he understood…but he came out a few minutes later with three bowls of the SAME sauce.
We tried to make him understand that we wanted three different sauces, but he still claimed it was impossible, so we just decided to send back the two other bowls and eat only one type of sauce.


2 comments:

  1. I can tell you have discovered that a sense of humor is an immensely valuable trait anywhere, anytime! Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is definitely better to laugh rather than get frustrated with changes in plan. I'm learning to be flexible. Life is so much more fun that way!

      Delete