Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Behind the curtains

Last week, I spent a day at the Discovery School, working with reading groups and organizing supplies.
On Tuesday, I stayed at the house with Melli. We decided to overhaul the office.

Oh dear me, it was a project. I thought that it wouldn't take too long, but it's proving to be a foe.
I have learned that I am really good at starting projects…but not so great at the follow up work.
I can plunge in: banners flying and sword drawn. After a while though, my focus is G.O.N.E.

It has been a great week though, and I will be excited when all of the papers are filed and everything is labeled.


On Saturday, we walked around town to see the sights with another volunteer who's here for a few weeks.
We went to the market and I have to say, it was a more pleasant experience from the first time I visited it two months ago.
That first visit was shocking. I pretty much decided that I never wanted to go to market again (I'm sure you know the toe game… what was that first little piggy thinking? I'm with the one who ate roast beef and stayed home.) The first visit, we walked by the meats area, where…well, it would probably turn you into a vegetarian if you hung around there too long. We walked down narrow twisting corridors, filled with people who pushed and shoved. A couple in front of me started fighting, and a crowd gathered around gleefully. All I could think was "Please Lord, when can I get out of here?"

This following market experience was great, and I even was so bold as to snap some pictures in the market.
You may know how people here are about having their pictures taken: they either love to be on film or hate it and demand that you fork over some cash.

We were such a big group that I ducked behind someone and strategically took some shots, so now, you, my reader, can see THE INSIDE OF THE MARKET without having to go there. (But, alas, the pictures won't upload...there's a thunderstorm. Therefore slow internet)

It was interesting that they sold white tank tops ("wifebeaters") with the alcohol. They were definitely encouraging a stereotype there.

Now when you think of service overseas, you think of exciting, life-changing events. You may think, "wow, these people are saving the world!"
…I know I've had that conception in the past. The truth is, that Christians overseas are just that. They aren't holier-than-thou, they're just following God's call.
Sometimes, you DO get to do exciting things.

But something that isn't so often thought about is the domestic side of things. When you're on a short-term trip (I'm defining short term as >2 weeks) you get to do all of the exciting things. You distribute food, you teach VBS, you build things, you're just like an energizer bunny, going going going!

When it's a longer term stay, there are still a lot of exciting things that get to be done. You get to cultivate deeper relationships with the people you're serving. But it's not the same sort of GO GO GO that drives a two-week trip.

I say this, because right now I'm helping with more administrative/domestic things. They are much more behind-the-scenes, but it's still rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment