Saturday, June 23, 2012

An Upcountry Adventure Pt 2-- Wanderlust and Waterfalls

Sorry it's taking me a while to post all of the story of my travels...it's been a week, if you know what I mean.
I've been helping post-exam time at the school, with activities and planning. It has been fun, but whew!
Joy has had acute bronchitis, and there is a team of 12 coming that has required some prep work. They arrived today, all safely, but 10 pieces of luggage (that all contained Discovery School supplies) are not here yet. Please pray they come safely and without hassle from the authorities!

Many things are happening, and God is working!
He is teaching me so much about servant-hood.

Anywho, about that trip...


This weekend trip was a fantastic experience, and seeing God's creation here in Burundi was...well, there are no good words.

To read part 1, see here.

...I awoke Sunday morning to a bright, crisp morning. We were the only guests at this particular hotel, so we had the whole place to ourselves. The 9 of us gathered in the "lobby" area, and after requesting hot water, feasted on cereal, french press coffee, and fruit. Some hotels here offer breakfast and tea, but this hotel was merely a place to sleep, which was fine by me. Though my body has gotten used to some of the germs here, it's hard to eat at a place where you aren't entirely sure how clean the preparer's hands and utensils are.

At 8:30, we were off to the falls!

After 2 hours of bumpy roads, we arrived, and it was well worth it.
As you approach in your car, you immediately see a giant waterfall:


After admiring the site, there was a hike up to the top of the falls. The trail-makers did NOT believe in switchbacks. Straight up the mountain!  We had an armed soldier with us.

The descent from the falls

Me and Z!

At the top of the ridge

At a crazy big waterfall (huge drop behind us!)

See? it's a looong way down!
After hiking to a smaller fall up higher, Whitney and I went to another fall where I washed my hair. The water was FREEZING. I have a picture, and though I'm laughing, it looks like I'm crying. I guess I was, in a way. It was frigid water. But clean hair was worth it. 




free climbing! SO FUN.
It was beautiful, and a reminder of God's greatness. We had a few scares with the boys as the rocks were slippery!
But praise God, they were ok, and there were no serious injuries.

After lunch at the falls, we went to the German's Gorge, the 2nd deepest rift in Africa.


If words could not describe the waterfall, I'd have a harder time of explaining this gorge. It was vast, deep, awe-inspiring. A waterfall ran down the face of the gorge, and chills crept up my spine as I took in the view.


 The next day, we traveled to the southernmost source of the Nile. There was a monument sitting at the top of a hill, which provided a gorgeous 360 view of the countryside.


M wouldn't look at the camera...haha, silly boy
 Then we drove down to the source. THE SOURCE of the Nile!

...it was anti-climatic: a pipe in the side of a hill. It actually looked like a construction site, and it was indeed a construction site. The people are working to turn it into a tourist-y place, complete with a pool. Oh the priorities of this country.

Drinking from the source.

The site of the source.

 Annnd, for lunch, we stopped to eat on the side of the road. LOOK AT THOSE FERNS! Wow.


I am so thankful for this trip, and the chance to see the wonders of God's creation. It made me appreciate Burundi and its people all the more.

This next week will be filled with soo much to do. I am happy to be busy.


No comments:

Post a Comment