Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Siga neza!

Hmm, what is today?

As I sit here thinking, I swear that it must be Friday. When I think back on all that has happened since Sunday, it feels as though much time has passed.
But it's just Wednesday evening. 

This week has been filled with activity, and it has been such a lesson in taking life one day at a time. I feel like that is one of the skills I'm supposed to learn: to live every day. I'm good at planning and daydreaming what ifs, but the logistical living in the moment is a skill I am learning to acquire. 

this week is the start of exams for the kids at Discovery School
 ...and they have some free time after they are finished with their testing. They need to have something to do! 

That's where we come in. 

Another volunteer, Whitney, and I have been planning activities and crafts for the kids. We have 200 to plan for, and we have one other helper.
It took some getting used to, but I'm sure that God will continue to provide us with patience and well-behaved kids.

It has been fun to brainstorm and think of creative ways to utilize the limited resources we have. As I am reminded, there is no wal-mart around the corner...

I had a happy moment. I was able to supplement my instructions today with some Kirundi! The children understand some English, but it always helps to back up what you're saying in the native tongue. It was a few phrases, and I can't be sure of the spellings because I write it down phonetically...

Siga nurupaporo rwoshe.
Siga neza!
Siga bokeboke.

(Color the whole paper. Color well! Take your time to color.)

Here is one of the classes today working on a project (they color a page totally with crayon, paint it, then etch away the paint with a golf tee. Thus all of the coloring commands):


New Kirundi word: Twenga -- to smile

No comments:

Post a Comment