Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Boxes and Blessings

The boxes arrived on Sunday!
(If you're friends with me on Facebook, you know this, but here's a picture)
It was like Christmas to get all of the wonderful supplies for next year's Discovery School!

Yay God!
The boxes could have come in one at a time, which would have been a major headache to drive down to the airport daily to check on the box situation (the airport here isn't as great as the states...they don't call you or drop your luggage off if they've found it, rather, they're likely to rifle through and pocket a few things) 
 Or they could have just never come at all.
Either way, those things didn't happen, and God made it work. Awesome.

This week, there's a huge team of 12 volunteers here. Crazily enough, they're all from North Carolina, my home state! What a neat coincidence, though I am not used to seeing so many Americans all in one place!  It's good prep for when I head home in 11 days [really? only 11 days?]. I have been trying to prepare myself for the culture shock that I am sure will take place.
While I have only been here for almost 4 months, I feel that I have adapted my way of thinking. I've grown used to the customs here. I know that I will miss many things...

...though I'm not going to worry about all of that presently.
I have missed my family and friends while I have been here, and if they could be here too, I would be happy. There isn't much else I miss about the States.
Especially not McDonald's and Walmart.

In other news, last Friday, I was able to go on a teacher trip!
...and I know that it is starting to sound like my time here is just one big tourist trip...
but this was a trip to Muramvya, the province of the king of Burundi (back when there were Kings, pre-Belgian colony times).
It was educational, gave me a better understanding of the culture, and most importantly, it helped me to bond with the teachers at the Discovery School.
It was a wild time, and I got to see the teachers come out of their shells! The trip made for some excellent memories (and a good blog post) though I'm going to save that for later, as it's late, and morning will come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment