Saturday, March 10, 2012

While I have Internet...

This was typed on the plane:

Over halfway done with our trip!

I don't know when I'll get the chance to actually post about my flight, but even if I don't currently have web access, I'll type something out so that when everything becomes a blur (I know it will!) I'll have written record.

Dad and I left Dulles at 6:00 pm EST.
That flight was so surreal.
Currently, I still feel very much like I'm in a weird sort of dream. This isn't happening; it's all way too out-of-this-world!

Well, the KLM airline changed our seats. It was a sad affair, and slightly stressful as we tried to re-work the seats so that we'd have an exit row.
I don't know why I even stressed! The seats we have had on both 8 hour flights have had so much leg room. Suuuch a blessing!
The flight from DC to Africa was relatively uneventful. We sat beside a friendly Swede, who was excited to hear about my trip. She was quite the world traveller herself. She had her PhD in international health. Coincidence? Hmm.

She was great entertainment. We chatted for a long while, then the dinner came.
...I have had some bad experiences with airline food. Usually, it's just gross and full of wheat.
KLM has given me all gluten-free meals (per my specification online), and they have been so good! I really am liking this airline (aside from how their website works with seating) they give you drinks about every hour or so, and they have a snack bar, as if I haven't eaten enough. They aren't stingy, so that's a plus.
They have a huge selection of movies, the stewardesses are *mostly* very smiley, AND the food is good.

After eating, it was dark and "late". It was very hard for me to sleep, so I dozed a bit and looked at the different entertainment options the plane had.
We arrived in Holland at 7:15 their time, and had three hours to walk around the airport. It started to hit me, just how tired I was. It was 1:15 am my time. 
Also, the Dutch have such a cutesy way of doing everything. It's like form meets fun! The airport was entertaining, there was a library, a few kiddie playgrounds, places to sleep, and about every kind of store you can imagine. Magical place. Anywho, today I have tried to be good and overcome this jet lag early! I've gotten a power nap in, and Daddy got me a coffee in Holland.
I know, I've heard that you shouldn't have coffee before you fly… but I really want to act like Burundi time is my time. As I'm typing this, I'm noticing that my computer clock says 7:26 am. My watch says 14:26. I'm hoping I can trick my body into having temporary amnesia and think that I did just lose 7 hours.
But really, I've been up since 6:30 am yesterday, with spurts of dozing here and there.

As Dad was getting the coffee, we met a man from Kenya. He was very friendly and chatty, gave us some of his background, and waited out the line with us. I will never understand why people push to be the first on the plane…what so they can sit there longer? No thanks
Dad and I boarded our flight for Nairobi, and we both got window seats in exit aisles! Since it's daytime, there's a lot more to see! When we crossed over the Alps, it was magical. I saw the very tip of italy, and I flew over gorgeous Greece.

Everything that is abroad and that I've heard stories about has this certain amount of magic and charm to it. I know it's touristy, but I really am at the point where I want to take pictures of EVERYTHING.
People can say what they want.

But I know not to take pictures in the African airports. So far, the only thing that has happened in "security" has been a pat down. No loss of things! Now just cross your fingers that Kenya is as chill.

Sleep. I need a quick nap. My body is starting to give out.

And here is what I was able to type today...






We arrived two days ago. I haven't taken the time to type anything. A) because there has been too much to see/do, and B) because I haven't had a good way to charge my computer. The power here is in constant flux, so one has to be careful how one plugs things in. My dad wanted to use a fan he brought, but the power converter he brought couldn't handle the flux in voltage. Good thing we have back ups/ One of the ladies at the rainbow centre had a voltage regulator that no one was using. So, yay power and updates!

I am not sure when I'll have internet, because I have to go to a coffeeshop downtown (and I can't very well go by myself anywhere yet) but I'll type this in the hopes of posting something sometime soon.

We arrived in Buje at midnight. I didn't really sleep on the plane at all, maybe an hour here and there. I was WIPED OUT. As badly as I wanted to sleep on the last leg of the journey, I thought it would be better to try to act like I was already on Burundi time. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was sleeping.

Ken and Melli picked us up and walked us through customs. We had no troubles at all! Awesome! It is warm and humid and breezy and tropical. I love this weather! 

They have a lovely home.
Their kids are a trip! Love them. There is lots to say about them, but there isn't much time at the moment. Another time.

As I'm typing this, I note that it's 9:15 AM EST

Now it is 11:29am EST, and I am in a café in downtown Burundi attempting to post this. The internet is cheap (I just have to buy a 1900 franc [$1.20] coffee to get the internet password.) At the moment, it is very very slow. I would imagine that Saturday is a prime day to access internet for everyone...so it is slow. I don't have time to edit, so excuse the mess of a post.

Monday, I'll be teaching at the rainbow centre! I am excited to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment