Friday, March 2, 2012

Having Love

It's all coming together!

Up to the week before an event, I'm excited, but the event feels far off. I think in my mind "oh, there's a week and three days. plllenty of time"

Now we are into the single digits. Oh boy!

Today.
Saturday.
Sunday.
Monday.
Tuesday.
Departure day!

The countdown is very very real now, and while I could start stressing, I keep reminding myself that God is the one in control and he is orchestrating everything.

I was reminded yesterday, during a quiet time, that without love, anything I do is nothing. I took time to think about my motivation. It struck me that, in 1 Corinthians, the writer says,
"And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing." 
 That's pretty extreme. For someone to give up everything, you'd think they must have love. They must be a 'super-christian'!
For someone to be a martyr? How can anyone do that without love?

Paul says it's actually easier than you'd think.

Here's what it looks like:

No patience. No kindness. Jealousy. Brags about accomplishments. Arrogance. Acts unbecomingly. Seeks it own. Easily provoked, keeps records of others wrongs. Rejoices in unrighteousness.

And it's easy in this society to cover up those sins. These sins can stay beneath the surface, out of the eyes of others. But not out of the eye of God. He knows when we act out of true love.

What I'm remembering is that I can do nothing apart from Christ, but through Him, I can do all things. He strengthens me.

All things I do should be out of an overflowing-with-gratefulness heart to Him. Not because I want recognition or to feel superior. Not because it's what's expected of me.
That defeats the purpose.
When I do things in my own strength, I'm just a clanging gong.
When I do things in His strength, I am holy and pleasing to God:
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship."

Definitely something to work on. Off to finish packing! 

Feeling God's very real love,

Makenzie 


No comments:

Post a Comment