Monday, March 12, 2012

Sunday's post

I wrote this yesterday, but now I have a chance to post it at Aroma cafe!

Okay, it is Sunday afternoon, and naptime for everyone, so I have some time to just sit and type about my experience so far.

Internet has been very slow, I think this is because it's the weekend, so I will try to upload this on Monday at the coffee shop, where coffee is 2000 francs.

During my free time, I have been playing with the little Johnsons. They are oh so adorable and remind me of my little cousins. It goes to show that it doesn't matter what continent you're on, little kids are the same!

Also, I can't upload pictures :( because I don't have the computer connector cable! I had a memory stick adapter, but wouldn't you know, it doesn't work with this memory stick! Oh frustrations.

So far my trip has consisted of acclimating to the climate, culture, and time change. I feel terrible for feeling drained and doing so little to warrant it! Soon, I will make up for it.
I try to remember that I have four months to get used to all of this, and I've only been here three days. I also catch myself every so often thinking, wow, am I really in Africa?!? Seriously? because going almost halfway around the world is an exciting venture for me, something I've dreamt of, and my mind can't quite grasp it. I have been feeling very dazed.

As far as the culture goes, here in the capital, you can see many different nationalities represented and many types of dress. There are two main tribes, one is tall and the other is petite. The petite ones make me feel like a giant! The atmosphere is very laid-back, much more so than the rush-rush of the States.

My wardrobe consists of long skirts, tank tops, and loose pants. I've wondered about shorts, but I haven't seen any other women wearing them…and if I were to wear them, I'd probably blind people with my whiteness. So, no shorts.

The climate here is humid and balmy. Not quite the intensity of North Carolina summer, but maybe late spring in North Carolina is the overall feeling. Around 80 degrees and 65% humidity.

The diet here is great! The base food is rice and beans, but everything is tasty! The doctors I talked to before I left told me to be very careful of what I ate. Here in Ken and Melli's house, there are no worries as far as food goes. Ken and Melli eat some American foods with African twists. I know many would think that I'd lose weight in Africa…it's doubtful.

On Monday I get to start actually doing stuff! Monday morning I am going to teach the little ones at the Rainbow Centre. The Rainbow Centre has changed over the past 10 years. Now that people understand about AIDS, there are more women willing to foster the babies! It is great news, and I know that it is better for the babies to have individual attention.
Now the Rainbow Centre is a daycare to help to generate income to buy supplies for the foster babies. They have a clinic twice a week for mothers who need help.

I am also going to be (hopefully) helping at the Discovery School, which is a French-English school out at the Mission. I am not sure when I'll be going there to help.

I have been trying to pick up Swahili/Kirundi/ French. I am thinking that French will serve me the best. I've been able to grasp more of it than of the other two languages. Three days is not long enough to really absorb a lot of it, but I am trying to make my mind a sponge.

This morning, Dad, Ken and I went to the church at the Mission. It was very large and the service was all in Swahili/Kirundi. The service lasted 3 1/2 hours without any breaks! Wow.
A kind guy named Claude sat next to me and translated the prayers, songs, and sermons. Hearing the languages and trying my best to decipher it made my brain hurt, just a bit.

But there is a very cool feeling that comes from knowing that others worship God all around the world in many different languages. I mean, in the States, you know this, but seeing it firsthand is really neat.
God doesn't just speak English.
I felt very small, and I better understood what it would be like to be a non-english speaker going to an English service. As an English speaker, I assume that of course everyone can understand English… HA!
If someone had assumed that I understood Swahili and tried conversing with me, it'd be a mess.

Also, AMAZING COFFEE AND TEA! It's sooo good! I'm glad that I'm in such a country, where coffee is soo cheap and good.

Also, I am getting used to being stared at. I'm a muzungu (white person) and those are pretty scarce...

God is soo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment