Saturday, July 14, 2012

Acclimating and Advice

I've been home for about a week now. This past week, I haven't taken too much time to chill out. I've been busy, just plunging back into "American life" -- VBS, housesitting, all of that fun stuff.

I thought that was the easiest way to go about it.

Well, now everything is hitting me. I am tired, and sleep is a wonderful thing. I am exhausted. I guess the adjustment to a place halfway around the world where the water ph is different as are the viruses does take time. I know for a lot of my stay in Burundi, I felt drained of energy just because of the physical environment.

I was pretty sure that by the end of my 4 months there I would be better adjusted to the germs there and I'd be coming back with vulnerabilities to the viruses here.
I was right.

I am also getting used to a few US customs that I unlearned in Burundi.

For example: hugs/handshakes

When you see someone you know in Burundi, you either shake their hand or give them a hug. when you say goodbye, it's customary to shake hands or give hugs.

So, hello = hug, goodbye = hug

I like hugs.

Americans? They aren't as into hugging, I am realizing.

I might keep this trend up, because such a feeling of friendship comes from as simple a thing as giving a hug hello.

Burundians also have little-to-no personal space. Now I am a personal-space-girl, but after a few weeks of having people in my "bubble" it became a more normal thing. But I don't want to weird people here out with being "in their face"

there are things that are taking getting used to, but I have also been surprised at how many things I have slipped right back into.

Like driving.
Driving in Burundi is like the Rush Hour game.

You are the red car, trying to get to your destination. It's a trip! It's like a theme park ride.
We were stuck in this gridlock intersection for about 10 minutes.
My dad was afraid that I'd drive like a Burundian (i.e. no rules) but as I started up the car, everything came pretty naturally back.


Also, this is my stack of necessities--what I suggest every person bring with them on a missions trip.  Or even to survive the daily grind of life -- no matter one's location.
These books were MAJOR during my time in Burundi.
The top is Jesus Calling -- and it's an amazing devotional. I can't tell you how many times it was dead-on in what I needed to hear from God that day. So, definitely take a solid devo book to guide quiet times. I didn't spend too much time with the devotional book, but it served as a good jump-off point for when I didn't know what to read for the day.

The second book was my journeying journal. I recorded the events of the day in that thing. I resolved to write in it daily...but often I was too tired. I am sure it will be a great thing to re-read in a few months. So many things you think you'll remember, you forget. So this is my way of remembering.

The third book is my sincere supplications book (yeah, I had to name it. Why pass up alliteration?) It was awesome to take notes of sermons/write prayers/spiritual thoughts. It was handy, and looking back on those kinds of journals is great for seeing spiritual growth. I've been trying to keep one up for the past 2 years, and they are encouraging!

The last one is most important. It's my guide to life, my love letter from God. The other three books don't even compare.
My Bible.
If you're living anywhere and you want to be used as a vessel for Christ, you must have this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment