Friday, July 6, 2012

Packing and Pondering

I'm in the process of sorting through my things, deciding what would be good to leave behind, and stuffing the rest into a suitcase.

I can't believe the day is here.
I'm America-bound in 8 hours!

I have been reflecting on the lessons I've learned, the experiences I've had.

God has taught me lessons, but not quite the lessons I thought I would learn.

Never put God in a box. 

I thought I was going to learn the most about hard work and service.
I thought I was going to learn about sacrifice.

I have learned about those things, yes, but the lesson I have learned is much like John Milton's in On His Blindness (Joy told me about this poem, and it's perfect)

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."
 

Not that I haven't done work, but I have been hit hard with the truth of Martha and Mary (Luke 11): a relationship with God is infinitely more important than any good works I can do for Him.

For me, this was a super hard lesson.

God has been teaching it to me for some time, even before I came out to Burundi.

It's funny how God trumps our expectations. I thought I knew what I would learn.
Well, He is full of perfect lessons and surprises.

So, I'm finishing up my goodbyes, packing, and reflecting. This morning I took my dad to Musee Vivant (it's going to be a great story)

My next post may be from America!

Thank you for coming on this journey with me!
Thank you for praying.

I'll keep this blog up, as I still have quite a few more stories of Africa to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment