Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Survival phrases

Just in case you ever find yourself in Burundi or Rwanda...
(they pronounce it guwanda, in Kirundi, fun fact),
here are some survival phrases.
…Or what I know.
Or really what a teacher at the school deemed important for communication…
(and I'm finding out that some of his advice wasn't so very correct grammatically…)

Yes -- Ego (like leggo my ego!)
No -- Oya (like saying 'oh yeah!', ...except it's opposite day)
Thank you -- Urakoze (or murakoze, if you're thanking a crowd)
Sit -- Icara
Down -- Hasi
Children -- Abana
Come -- Ingo
Here -- Ngaha
There -- Hariya
Go -- Genda

Can I take your picture? -- Noshobora kubafotora? 
Try -- Gerageza
What is your name? -- Nitwa nda?
My name is ____ -- Jawe nitwa ______
Friend -- Mugenzi (pretty much pronounced like my name!)
How are you? -- Nisawa?
Good Morning -- Mwaramutse
Good Afternoon-- Miwiriwe
It is peace? (as a greeting) -- N'amahoro?
It's fine/ok/good -- Sawa.
Let's go! -- Tugende!

To speak -- kuvulga (the command, "speak!" is vulga)
To sing -- Turirimbre
to look -- Kuraba
To be quiet -- Guhora
Me -- jewe (jay-way)
You -- wewe (way-way)
this -- iki
that -- ico
Where? -- hehe? (hay-hay)
I don't know -- Sindabizi
What is this? -- iki n'igiki?
What is this in Kirundi? -- Iki n'iki mu Kirundi?

Also, it's taboo to take pictures of policemen... well I was sneaky.
This is a policeman when he stopped us for papers (we were stopped twice, just to make sure our papers checked out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment